Tom's Mom's Baked Beans
- In large skillet or heavy pan, over medium heat, Cook 6 slices of thick sliced bacon until crisp Drain on paper towel and cut into about 1" pieces.
- Leave about 3 TB grease in skillet. Chop about half a large sweet onion, and cook in same skilet in drippings until tender, stirring often. Then:
- Add 3 TB brown sugar (I use light brown), stir and cook until this mixture carmelizes slightly.
- Add about 2 TB ketchup and 1 TB yellow mustard and the bacon pieces. I like to keep some of the bacon to put on the top about 10 minutes before I take it from oven.
- Add 2 large (16 oz.) cans pork and beans (I use Van Kamps) and heat well.
- Transfer to baking dish or pan and bake 1 hour in 350 degree oven or longer if it's too runny.
- Let stand a bit before serving.
|Tom wielding tongs|
|Charlene Sutton wielding a marshmellow|