Sunday, December 16, 2012

Crafting Your Marimba

And here I proudly present a new video from Seattle videographer Izzy Corey documenting the building and delivery (by me!) of a 2 octave soprano "Lowrider" marimba. This is about 20 minutes long and will be of interest to young malleteers, teachers, parents - anyone who is curious about how these instruments are created.

 
Crafting Your Marimba from Tom Bourne on Vimeo.

Because the world needs MORE marimba builders, the follow-up to this video will be a longer version intended for folks planning to build their own marimba. No doubt that crafty craftsman you know can view this shorter version and get a good start, and the forthcoming longer version will be the "director's cut", narrated by me and covering all the details of marimba building start to finish. Stay tuned!

10 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the longer version. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the video do you know when the longer version is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the others, I can't wait to see the longer version. This version has helped me immensely in building my own marimbas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great video Tom! Shows, briefly, the many steps to completing your work of art! I have people that regularly ask me about your marimbas and now I can just point them to your website video. Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Marimbaguy! Let me know when your next publication is ready to roll, I can mention it here,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thomas, awesome video. I really like your frame designs. What kind of band saw are you using in the video?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi John - Thanks for the compliment. I use a Jet 14" bandsaw with an extension that heightens the throat enough to handle sawing the intitial cut in big wide bass bars. It's always worked fine, though would be nice to get a real industrial grade bandsaw some day. I put a 1/2" blade on it, which is what I use for all my cutting. I buy the very best quality blades available because they last MUCH longer than cheaper blades.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tom, thanks for the info!! Have you ever tried cutting bars out of purple heart? How does it hold up to that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, I use purpleheart for baritones whenever it is available in good grain patterns. I don't cut enough of it day after day to notice what it would do to a blade, but don't notice any immediate dulling of blades with it. But it will definitely dull a cheaper blade fast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks again sir, you are in incredible wealth of knowledge and experience!

    ReplyDelete